Out on the ivy-crept balcony, the DM sips his morning tea with honey in fuzzy pink slippers and a Deckard Caine SnugE (purchase your own here).
After the huge, huge, huge amount of fun I had playing Tomb of Horrors, I've decided to convert the game to Gygax and Arneson's original vision, First Edition!
I know it may come as a shock, but for those who haven't played you will find it leaps and bounds more exciting than 4e. For one, there's a lot less min/max bother, and the focus is on the fun. True, a lot is dependent on the dice, and luck in general, with a dash of strategy and magic (I'm speaking from experience in one of the deadliest dungeons around), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's no skills to worry over, everything is some sort of percentage chance, so do whatever you like. THAC0 will take some getting used to, but I've come to appreciate charts.
Classes are fewer, and have some limitations, okay a lot of limitations, but that's part of the charm of it all. And monsters are monsters again, scary as hell, and some are able to rip you in half in one shot. Most importantly, though, there's a feeling this is down-and-dirty D&D, a game of chance and thrills and death and gore. It's what I've aspired to my whole DMing career.
Honestly, I should have converted over to OSRIC (the specific version of the 1e rules we'll be using) back when the 'Old School Renaissance' first started up, but better late than never. Pig-faced orcs here we come!
Here's a link to the OSRIC PDF so you guys can start to brush up.
4 comments:
In order to better make the transition to 1e, the DM has agreed to let me make a few changes to Tyvis.
Obviously, I'll need to make him a pig-faced orc, since they are the only one with the proper amount of rage to be attuned to the hellheart. Normally this would be a smooth transition, but Tyvis doesn't have the strength requirement to be some buff brute. So I'm going to have to change his gender to a her. Her name will now be Tyvia.
This means we'll have to change some of the past events, of course. Due to Tyvia's homeland being blatantly homophobic, she would only ever be in a relationship with men. So the DM has agreed to make Mara an incubus named Max. Kaern, would you be willing to change as well? I'm going to need it for next stage of my character development: showing up at the wedding with a half-angel/half-orc baby!
Ya. Seeing how we're going to change over to 1st, and that Tham has split personalities and such and is based off a race that was newly introduced in 4e, the DM has also allowed me to recreate Thamior/Vilthanos as Othyr's own version of Demogorgon.
So seeing how Tham is now going to basically be part demon/devil (can't truly remember what Demo was) I think Tyvis showing up with a half-Angel/Orc baby would sit fairly well with him.
lol and Japanese porn spam is just a cherry on the top for this thread.
Ok now it's just ridiculous...
Post a Comment